The Greening Task Force (GTF) Committee’s vision statement comes from the UMC Book of Discipline, which states in part “all Creation is the Lord’s— and we are responsible for it— to value and conserve it– to meet our stewardship duties through acts of loving care and respect”. GTF provides opportunities to do this through activities, education, information, and programs that will help care for God’s Creation. Creation Care can be seen actively working, not just within the GTF committee, but in many other areas of our church, and by many individuals of our congregation. The GTF theme for 2009 activity was “Reuse”.
· Festival of God’s Creation- Celebrated on the Sunday closest to April 22, the GTF works with pastor to help provide greening and environmental focus in our congregation.
· Walking and Biking- Coordinate / sponsor weekly walks on different local trails and occasional biking adventures, both promoting fun, friendships, and healthy exercise outdoors with nature.
· Field Trips- Coordinate / sponsor field trips to green sites. In 2010, a field trip was to Wild Horse Wind and Solar Facility to learn about wind and solar energy and how our church “Green Power Funds” are used.
· Hike, Bike, Carpool Sunday- Coordinates one Sunday a year that the congregation is encouraged to minimize driving to FCUMC to lessen the emissions impact on the environment; also is a fun summer function.
· Summer Creation Church School– Every 4th Sunday during the summer, GTF, volunteers, and children enjoyed working in the wetlands and learning about Caring for God’s Creation.
· Green Power-Our church’s electrical use is 100% offset by purchasing alternative energy (averaging $76 per month) through the Puget Sound “Green Power Program“. Our 2013 purchase of 72,150 kilowatt-hours helped avoid the release of 87,840 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions and other pollution into the air.
· Partnership with Earth Ministry- Participate in activities and programs, church colleague meetings, and communications with churches caring for creation in our area.
Others: Jeff Kenyon, Joyce O’Conner-Magee, Dale Peterson, Dianne Smith, Liz White, Donna Worden
Scheduled as needed.